What To Do If Your Beagle Gets Stung

We’ve all seen dogs getting stung by bees and wasps, and it is just as painful for them as it is for us. But what should we do? What’s the right first aid for beagles that get stung? It all depends on the severity of your dog’s reaction. Here are a few things you need to know:

Bee stings are usually only dangerous to your dog if he is allergic to bee venom. Dogs that are not allergic can usually handle several stings before any reaction sets in, but if he is allergic, even one sting can cause big problems.

Step 1

The first thing you want to do is remove the stinger as quickly as possible and take a look at the area it came from. If you see any signs such as swelling, redness, if your dog starts scratching or rubbing his face/ears/neck – they were most likely bitten by a bee. These are the more common reactions after a sting:

If you see or suspect your dog has been stung by a bee, look closely for signs of an allergy: heavy saliva production (drooling), swelling around the face and throat area, coughing, diarrhea, trouble breathing, rapid heartbeat, vomiting, weakness. If you notice any of these symptoms, take your dog’s temperature.

A fever over 102 degrees Fahrenheit means anaphylactic shock may soon occur. The best thing to do in this case is rush your dog to the veterinarian where she will receive adrenaline shots and corticosteroid drugs to stop the reaction. The vet may then give your dog more drugs to prevent further complications, such as a bacterial infection from the sting site.

Bee stings are not usually dangerous to dogs if they only show the following mild symptoms: redness and swelling around the sting site, itching and pain at sting site (if sting is on paw or leg), drooling (from stings on face)

If your beagle has any of these signs after getting stung, you can take care of it yourself without taking him to the veterinarian first.

Try one of the following:

  • Watch for signs of swelling – watch for lethargy and fever immediately after getting stung which could indicate secondary infection.
  • Rinse wound with fresh water – you may have seen recommendations online to use vinegar, salt solution or peroxide… But these are not recommended for beagles who are allergic to bee stings.
  • Apply Benadryl ointment or cream – give your dog a dose of Benadryl orally (“doggie Dramamine”).
  • Rinse with Benedryl solution if there’s swelling in the mouth, tongue or throat area. This is not recommended for non-allergic dogs though because it can cause other reactions.

Monitor your dog for signs of shock – watch out for blue gums and rapid heart rate when taking him to the vet

Even if you’re at home, don’t waste any time! If your Beagle starts showing any signs of an allergic reaction after getting stung – call your vet right away.

Remember: It’s best to avoid bee stings… But if your beagle gets stung by a bee, follow these steps to minimize the reaction and decrease the risk of getting stung again!

Step 2

Possible complications: secondary infections at sting sites, shock, or if your dog has been stung around his eyes or mouth – swelling could cause breathing problems, choking, or trouble swallowing.

The best thing to do is take your beagle’s temperature to make sure he doesn’t have a fever over 102 degrees Fahrenheit, and if so – rush him to the emergency veterinarian. If his temperature is normal, try one of these remedies listed above.

Step 3

Do NOT give human medication

Ibuprofen, Benadryl or your EpiPen are all big no-no’s when it comes to beagles. Beagles are more susceptible to side effects from these drugs, so NEVER give your beagle ibuprofen or aspirin! Aspirin can cause stomach ulcers and ibuprofen can damage your dog’s kidneys. EpiPen is used for humans who are allergic to bee stings, but this medication does not work on dogs because no research has been done on the proper dose for dogs.

Step 4

Look for multiple stings

If your beagle has been stung by a bee or wasp more than once, take him to the veterinarian as quickly as possible. In this situation, you may not have enough time to give him an antihistamine before his reaction gets worse.

Bee stings are usually only dangerous if your dog is allergic to bee venom – but even non-allergic dogs can have a deadly reaction after multiple stings! Watch out for secondary reactions such as facial swelling that prevents breathing and shock.

If your beagle has been stung many times around his face, neck, throat or mouth – he could also be having trouble breathing due to swelling in those areas (sting on leg/paw would cause swelling in the leg). Take him to the nearest animal hospital or call your vet immediately.

Step 5

Remember the difference between Bees and Wasps

It’s important to know the difference between bees and wasps, because you know your dog is allergic or not to bee stings based on whether she’s allergic to wasp stings.

Most dogs are only slightly allergic to bee stings – but they can become very ill after multiple sting exposure if they’re not already considered “hypersensitive.” The majority of dogs won’t have a reaction at all! Honeybees are the primary culprit for beagle reactions, which are caused by the venom in their stingers. Some dogs might also be allergic to Yellow Jackets, Hornets, Paper Wasps, Mud Daubers, Cicada Killers… But these are less common causes of dog sting allergies.

Bee Sting “Allergy” Symptoms: hives around bite area within seconds, swelling of lips and/or eyes, face turning pale or blue. Symptoms will stop after a few minutes – but can come back if dog is stung again.

Watch for: swollen mouth, tongue, and throat; vomiting; diarrhea; increased salivation; shock (pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness). If your beagle has any of these signs after getting stung, she could have an allergic reaction and need treatment by a veterinarian immediately.

Conclusion

Bee stings are not always that serious for dogs, but remember to use common sense. If your beagle is having trouble breathing after getting stung – rush him to the vet immediately! And if you suspect multiple bee sting reactions, go straight to the nearest animal hospital or call your vet.

Before Bee Stings:

– Keep an EpiPen on hand at all times just in case – some people carry one even though they are not allergic themselves.

– Keep Benadryl which treats mild allergic reactions with you as well.

After Bee Stings:

If there has been no previous history of allergies, watch your dog closely for signs of secondary infection and treat any swelling at the site.

Staying Out of Buzzing Flowerbeds:

– Avoid allowing your beagle to dig up and eat bees, as this can trigger an allergic reaction.

Avoid Flowerbeds:

– Keep your beagle away from flower beds until she has been de-stung! Bees like to hang out in those types of areas. If your Beagle ventures into a flower bed and gets stung by a bee – be sure to check for other stings as well

If you have any questions or concerns, always visit or call your veterinarian – they are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pets.